Thursday 4 September 2014

Getting Ready to Ride

Only 2 days to go now before I set off for my 2,500 mile trip to France, Germany, Austria, Italy and home.  I'm just hoping that I will not have any failures that will hold up the rest of the group on their modern BMWs.  So a few more things to do.  First off was to drain the fork oil and replace it.


I was surprised to discover varying amounts of oil in the 2 legs.  One side had 290 cc and the other had 325 cc. But one side has always appeared slightly oilier on the stanchion, which may account for it.  New seals are clearly needed.
Firstly I replaced the oil with standard 10W fork oil.  I took the bike for a ride and nearly ended up with a serious tank slapper.  The handing had deteriorated considerably.  With some helpful advice I decided to change out the 10W oil for a mix of 50/50 10W-40W and ATF.  
This is what this concoction looks like:
I made absolutely sure the correct amount was in each leg.  It doesn't taste very good:
I also checked the springs against some others I had and they look good.  Still up to length:
I then also swopped over the rear suspension with a newly refurbished set of air shocks off a latter model GS1100G.


No comments:

Post a Comment